- In a large soup pot, over medium heat, melt the butter, and sautee onions until soft and starting to brown. Add garlic in part way so the garlic is fragrant but doesn’t burn.
- Add leeks, cook stirring regularly, until soft and wilted (~10minutes). Try not to brown the leeks.
- Add potatoes, stock, bay leaves, thyme, salt and pepper to the pot, cover and bring to a boil. Let simmer until potatoes are soft.
- Remove bay leaves
- Puree the soup using an immersion blender or standard blender.
- Add cream to taste*
*Based on taste preferences and dietary restrictions, you can use a non-dairy milk or traditional heavy cream in the final stages of this recipe. Some may prefere to leave it out altogether, but the cream thins it out and adds more flavour.
If you wanted to make this a vegan recipe simply swap out the butter for a vegan alternative and use non-dairy milk!
If you want to freeze this soup:
- Do not add cream until you plan on serving, warm and serve